Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Repetitive Writing

While reading Tovani's book, it occurred to me a lot of her strategies at becoming a better reader include taking notes.  My only concern about that is if I am already a bad reader, doesn't that also mean that I am probably a bad writer?

In my experience, note taking has done me little to no good (unless of course tests that teachers gave me were open notes).  I remember when I started college I was such a diligent note taker.  I would fill spiral upon spiral of notes, but by the time I got to my senior year I hardly filled two pages.  Part of the reason, was through my educational process I was better able to detect the information the instructor was trying to make stick, but mostly it was because I realized that most of the note taking I did rarely made a difference in my performance.

I realized that my digesting the information had little to do with writing it down.  Either I found it interesting or not.  If it was interesting it stuck, boring it didn't (even if I took notes on the content).  Which brings me back to my students: I hope my students can read by the time they reach my class, and ideally they are able to understand learning through reading, but being a realist, and looking at my own hindrances towards reading, I believe the best way to educate my students in science is not through reading, but through doing and watching.

With one caveat: repetitive writing.

I learned that having students write hard scientific words repeatedly they were better able to recall the words.

Example:

Write Deoxyribonucleic Acid 25 times.
Write Photosynthesis 25 times

8 comments:

  1. I am not a good note taker too but I do write a few things down, maybe a word just to think about it later.
    Hands-on and observing is the best way to learn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a good note taker too but I do write a few things down, maybe a word just to think about it later.
    Hands-on and observing is the best way to learn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Don,
    I find your not-taking experience to be fascinating. Personally, I take notes like it's going out of style. It's my way to ensure that I don't miss anything. I must admit that I miss much of the information during class because I'm not hearing it, I'm just writing it down. Then I take my notes home and read them as I'm doing homework or research.

    My point is that note-taking can be useful, but I think everyone takes notes differently and uses them differently. Obviously, taking your story into account, that doesn't work for everybody. In fact, to give attention to your question about reading and writing be connected, I agree. However, there is a way around that in note-taking. That would be voice recorders. I tried that once and I didn't like it. But maybe it could help someone that struggles to write/read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note taking is a learned process that is as much symbolic as it is pure alphabetical. Remember the mind map exercise in MSET 539? You can do the same thing as note taking. Some words, some phrases some pictures, some lines to make connections. It mostly works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a copy of the AVID manual? If not get it. It explains Cornell notes like you wouldn't believe. It works, it's easy, it makes fing sense. You can find a type of Cornell notes paper at Staples. Look for their "ARC" products area. Ask for ARC project management sheets in 8.5x11.0 and or 8.5x5. I discovered this stuff before AVID and Cornell notes.

    I think notes are essential. I couldn't get by without them. I use them as a memory enhancer. Because I use the WTL against my notes to bring me to what we are learning as public writing I do not invest my sweat into books like the one we just paid 100+ for. I skim the book after taking and editing my class notes. In addition, I make ridiculous amounts of notes in the book and other assigned readings. In other words, my notes allow me to use text books and readings as resources to find stuff. Not as memory sinks. I think I'm describing external storage - Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just have to comment on your statement that you begun with in this blog. I am a bad reader but a better writer. I can actually take awesome notes in my class that i can come back to anytime without getting confused on what i wrote about. Note taking helps me learn the content better and stays maintained.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading this. I have never been a good note taker. I'll take notes and write notes during the whole class but then I'll look at them and not understand what the heck they mean. I later found out that I need to really pay attention to what the teacher is saying. A lot of times students will just write what is on the power point and not really take notes on what the teacher is saying. We all learn in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely agree that writing down hard concepts can make them easier to grasp. I think that students need to be taught how to take notes. I know that I wasn't ever really taught how to do so. I think it would be beneficial and a real time saver if we teach them the note taking process.

    ReplyDelete